Happy New Year!
We all have great intentions, a renewed vigor for our work, and the desire to be ultra-successful in 2018, right? I know I do and am very busy today making sure my stars are aligned, my focus is razor sharp, and I am poised and ready for a successful New Year!
What better way to start 2018 than to make sure your roadmap is in place and you know what you want to do and when you want to do it!
Let’s take inventory of the basics:
- Do you have your 2018 New Year calendar in place? Have you transferred your important dates, birthdays, and special events to your calendar? If you are old-fashioned (not a criticism) and still use a calendar book, daytimer, or wall calendar, is it up-to-date with hot dates, activities, and appointments? For those of you who use a digital calendar (like Google Calendar, I-Cal etc.), have you double checked that your important dates, regular appointments, and hot dates have uploaded? Now is the time to check your reminders, trace dates, and look ahead to the next 30-60-90 days to plan your time.
- Is your filing done? Are your 2018 files created and ready to be used? Starting the New Year with a clean slate is always such a good feeling… plus, historical info is where it should be and readily available at your fingertips!
- Clean your desk and your office! Make sure you eliminate distractions such as clutter, holiday decor, and other items that keep you from moving forward. Be ready to welcome clients to your office for meetings. Take home those extra sweaters, jackets, shoes, and items you have hung on the back of your door or thrown under your desk in 2017. Bring back only those items you need.
- Clean up your computer desktop and digital files. Create your 2018 files. Change your wallpaper and ringtone for a fresh start.
- Review your standard letters and correspondence. Freshen up each standardized letter with new content. Know and integrate new brand phraseology and culture into your message.
- Inventory your collateral and sales kits/gifts. Replenish as needed. Pack a box for your car so that you always have sales call materials at your disposal. (Clean your car, vacuum, wash windows. Clean out the trunk. Inventory your trunk storage box to make sure your safety items are in place and not out-of-date. Pack a small suitcase with overnight items and a change of clothes and keep it in your trunk “just in case”. Being prepared is paramount for peace of mind.)
- Are your budget and marketing plans handy and at your fingertips? Open them up to January and familiarize yourself with the content. Scan through your February and March information so that you can plan for big events without rushing at the last minute. Set date goals for each step along the way.
- Review your Google Alerts. Add new search phrases and remove phrases that are not working. Start the New Year fresh!
- Go through your wardrobe and fine tune 5 professional outfits that fit, make you feel like a million bucks, and give you confidence. Move them to the front of your closet and rotate them so that you are always ready to make sales calls.
- Polish your shoes. Clean, well-cared-for shoes are perfect for getting your foot in the door!
- Prepare yourself by reviewing the kitchy, weird and unique holiday lists and deciding what you want to celebrate in the New Year. Is Strawberry Ice Cream your thing? Then celebrate it on January 15th. Interested in promoting a Romance Package? Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. Looking to reach out to dentist offices in 2018? Celebrate Dentist’s Day on March 6th. Star Wars fanatic? May the 4th be with you! Is positivity your thing? Integrate materials and gifts to celebrate Postive Thinking Day on September 13th. Make any day a good and unique sales call day in the New Year. For more information, consult one of the many calendar sites to find your perfect holiday(s)!
So you catch my drift? Set yourself up for success. It takes a bit of time, but it is time well-spent.
Happy New Year!